Insulating your Home



An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) tells you how well insulated your home is, and what improvements could be made.    It’s a good place to start because it tells you what action is needed.  EPCs are now required when you sell your home, and are issued by qualified inspectors.

This government website holds all EPCs.  Just enter your postcode, and you can download it.  Even if you haven’t had one done, previous tenants or owners might.  I found one for my house here that I didn’t know about.

How to Better Insulate your Home

Homebuilding magazine has some good guides on improving your insulation, including a cost guide.

Info on Grants for Insulation

If you are on any of the benefits listed here, you are eligible for FREE professionally installed loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, and room-in-the-roof insulation. There are also partial grants for insulation of solid walls (e.g. stone) either externally or internally. Click to go to the government’s grant page APLLY NOW buttons to arrange a free survey, which will get the ball rolling. This scheme includes private tenants so long as you get the landlord’s permission.

You can also obtain a low interest loan for home improvements here.  This is an arrangement operated by a not-for-profit organisation in partnership with the local council.

Main Menu