Staverton & Landscove Climate Action Group
- We are a working group set up by the parish council and made up of a growing number of Landscove and Staverton residents.
- We meet once a month on a Monday evening, currently at the Live & Let Live Inn.
- We welcome everyone. Come along! No commitment or specialist knowledge needed. We’re all working it out together.
Next meeting: currently suspended during lockdown
Contact any of us for further info, or just turn up to the next main meeting.
- Chair: Carmen Talbot – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Transport group: John Forte – email@example.com
- Trees & Biodiversity: Julia Bond – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Energy: Simon Oldridge – email@example.com
Net Zero by 2030?
This parish council target means reducing our net emissions of carbon dioxide to zero by 2030. It’s a huge challenge but together we can help achieve it by starting the process of replacing our fossil fuel technology with clean alternatives. Our group can help share information as well as lobby government for more financial support.
The “net” bit makes this huge challenge more achievable, because we can deduct an estimate for carbon absorbed through tree planting and the growing out of hedges etc. We also deduct locally generated green electricity (e.g. solar or hydro).
One of the first steps to achieving our target is to estimate our total carbon emissions. We’re starting with residential heating and electricity. Please join this initiative, with the chance to win any of three fantastic prizes. This data will help us in lobbying for more financial support from the local council and from government, as well as tell us whether or not we’re on track as we move towards 2030.
The Parish Climate Action Plan
For the emerging plan, click here – Parish Plan
We are developing sub-groups to examine each area of emissions such as energy, trees, transport and farming. No specialist knowledge is needed to join a group. Everyone can bring something to the table!
Climate Action Pages
- Climate Change: the Facts – click for a collection of some the best short video clips and graphics from respected sources.
- How is UK doing at reducing emissions? – click for an objective assessment from independent organisations.
- Climate Change: The Impacts – click for a brief explanation of what’s likely to happen, and how soon.
- Calculate your carbon footprint
- CAT Thermometer – latest forecast of global temperature increase based on pledges made by countries
Calculate your carbon footprint
There are a number of websites that help you estimate your annual carbon footprint – i.e. total greenhouse gas emissions caused by all your activities. This is the best I’ve found: click here.